- Don’t buy IKEA cabinets. There are better, even less expensive, choices out there. See first link See other brands
- If you are renovating the kitchen to sell your home, do what’s popular and not what YOU like.
- Google cabinet places and find a kitchen designer and cabinet dealer that gets good reviews. DO NOT design the kitchen without knowledgeable help. Would you represent yourself in court? Would you cut your hair yourself on your wedding day? This is too important and too big an investment to satisfy a need to do it yourself. See link
- Always pay for soft close doors and full extension soft close drawers. See Link
- Keeping the soffits over your cabinets makes the renovation significantly less valuable.
- Oak cabinets, arched door styles, and raised Therma foil door styles are outdated and have no resale value.
- Coordinate your color selections. If you make bold color choices like greens and blues for cabinet colors make sure there are coordinating colors in your backsplash, wall paint, countertop or fixtures. Eclectic is code for “bad taste”.
- If you are buying white or grey, shaker, full overlay cabinets – you can purchase this style in less expensive cabinet lines and can look and last as well as more expensive lines. Don’t waste money on expensive cabinet brands when you aren’t taking advantage of what THOSE lines do well.
- Make sure you know the lead time, and if there are back-order problems, in the cabinet line you are purchasing. Supply chain issues can destroy your renovation timeline. Only the short-sighted rip out an existing kitchen before planning and scheduling the new kitchen
- Never pay 100% down to order your cabinets unless you are buying them from a major home center like Lowes or The Home Depot. Other dealers may have financial problems it they ask for payment in full to order.
Below is a link to our article rating the top 100 kitchen cabinet brands.
Our ratings are used more often by consumers than Consumer Reports or JD Power. This is because they are comprehensive, accurate and the ratings are judged by experts in cabinetry and not by consumers.
If you need more help than our website can give, call into our helpline and podcast on Fridays between 2 and 4 pm. We answer questions from all over the world and review any designs that people send us. Simply call 610-500-4071 Friday 2-4 pm EST and follow the directions on the recording if the lines are full.
If you would like to listen to our podcast here is a link to past podcasts: